23 Jun 2014

Primark clothing label "Forced to work exhausting hours"

Primark is keen to investigate how a label bearing the hand-stitched words: "Forced to work exhausting hours" was found inside one of its dresses. Swansea shopper Rebecca Gallagher bought a floral dress at the budget retailer and was alarmed by what she found.

sweatshop-workers

"I was amazed when I checked for the washing instructions and spotted this label," Gallagher told the South Wales Evening Post. "To be honest I've never really thought much about how the clothes are made. But this really made me think about how we get our cheap fashion. I dread to think that my summer top may be made by some exhausted person toiling away for hours in some sweatshop abroad."

The shopper, who says she called Primark but didn't receive a response after being placed on hold, sees the wording as a "cry for help - to let us people in Britain know what is going on", although the label's origin will be difficult to verify. While it could have been added once the garment arrived in Britain, the label may also have been sewn in by a factory employee - a mystery that Primark is attempting to unravel.

Vogue.com UK