5 Sept 2007

Dutch girl serves with Colombian rebels

Colombia expert and former Pax Christi worker Lidwien Zumpolle says at least three Dutch citizens are directly involved with the FARC guerrilla movement in Colombia. She claims the FARC are also recruiting in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Belgium and Greece. Her remarks follow publication in the Colombian newspaper El Tiempo of extracts from the diary of a Dutch woman fighting with the FARC. She is known as "Eillen", but turns out to be ex-student Tanja Nijmeijer who joined the FARC four years ago. Her diaries were found by the Colombian army in a rebel camp which had been abandoned in haste. More on Radio Netherlands Worldwide

From her diary:

23 August 2006: I managed to ring home! But I didn't get permission beforehand and now Frits is mad at me, but I don't care. It was wonderful to hear their voices. Mum started crying and then Dad did too. Now I just have to patiently wait from my punishment. Everyone can ring home, except me. Isn't that ridiculous. Maybe they'll leave me behind in the jungle forever or maybe they'll send me on a foreign mission after this little disobedience. Actually, I don't want to, it doesn't interest me. I might have a new boyfriend, a commandant. He is 30 years old and very special. Maybe it'll work out between us.

2 November 2006: The chief has fallen for a girl with big tits. But it appears she brought some venereal disease with her. The chief says the government sent her to in order to infect and weaken the rebel leaders.

24 November 2006: I'm tired, tired of the FARC, tired of people and tired of living in this commune. I'm fed up of never having anything of my own. All of this would have a purpose if you knew what you were fighting for. I don't believe in it any more. What sort of rebel movement is this? Only a few people have money or cigarettes or sweets and the rest of us have to beg for a share, but you know the higher-ups will just be nasty and say no. It was exactly the same four years ago when I joined, nothing has changed. A girl with big tits and a pretty face can totally undermine a unit that has worked together for ages (...) I don't know if I'll ever get out of this jungle (...) I want to get out of here, at least out this unit. But you know that you're a sort of prisoner here (...) It's not the FARC so much as this unit.(...) but had enough of all that blah blah blah about being a Communist (...) all the commandants are corrupt, traitors, and rabble-rousers and traitors. They've got no sympathy if someone delivers any criticism. I wish I was in a fighting unit (...) But I don't want to leave here, just want to walk, laugh, fight and buy things without any problems. I'll speak to Karel

FAC-EP website
To find out more about the FARC-EP Chain of Command see Wikipedia